We badly needed a break from the same tea time cookies here - now heres a reason for me to get skilled though not to the bakery level but atleast to satify our cravings :). Again this recipe is from my mom's dairy, she preserved this from her samaja bakery classes or a ladies club that she used to attend when we were kids.
Here goes the recipe for khara biscuit/ Spicy biscuits
Makes around 20 biscuits
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Margarine at room temperature - 75gms
Castor sugar - 2tsp
Salt - 1tsp
Baking powder - 3/4 tsp
Green chillies finely chopped - 4 (medium spice)
Plain yogurt - 2 tbsp
Curry leaves chopped - 10
Grater ginger - 1/2 inch
Mint leaves finely chopped - 6 to 8
Ajwain - 1/4 tsp
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Sieve the flour, baking powder and castor sugar in a large plate or a bowl.
- Beat the margarine with an electric mixer for about 3min.
- Next stir in the chillies, curry leaves, mint, ginger , ajwain, salt and yogurt. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix well.Transfer this to a lightly floured surface and knead well till it becomes a smooth ball.
- Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness and with a biscuit cutter cut the dough into as many biscuits as possible. Lift the biscuits and keep on a baking sheet. Bring together the remaining dough, repeat the procedure of knead-roll-cut.
- Next place these biscuits on the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15min till light brown on the edges.
Hot hot khara biscuits/Spicy biscuits are ready to be served with drink of your choice :)!!