As we all know Flax seed is rich in Omega 3 EFA and fibrous too! And so I go hunting for the flaxseed packet and successfully bought one to safely pack in my freezer :-p. I tried sprinkling over yoghurt, curries, cereals, salads ......still just not even 1/4 of a packet was finished. It looked as new as a freshly bought packet from the supermarket :-p. I was very keen on using this new wonder food in our daily diet. I didn't give up so easily.
I found a recipe and viola...the flax seed in the freezer is almost finished now ;). We are loving it!!!!! Why don't you also try to masaledar the flaxseed and enjoy the benefits :). Here goes the recipe for Flaxseed Chutney Pudi.
Ground Flax seed or the seed itself - 1 Cup
Dried Red Chillies - 10 to 12
Urad dal - 4 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 3 tsp
Tamarind - 1 small lemon sized ball
Garlic - 3 Pods (optional)
Curry Leaves few strands (optional)
Salt to taste.
Oil - 1 tp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Dry roast the Flaxseed on low flame till it starts to splutter. Then transfer it into a plate and allow it to cool.
- Dry roast the Urad dal and red chillies on low flame till golden brown. Transfer it into a plate.
- Dry roast the Cumin Seeds and Tamarind separately on low flame and transfer it with the dal + chillies mixture.
- Lastly dry roast the Curry leaves and Garlic till the curry leaves becomes crispy and transfer it to the same dal + chillies mixture.
- Now first grind the Dal + chillies + Cumin seeds + Tamarind + Garlic + Curry leaves +Salt.
- Then to this add the roasted flax seed and grind again. You can either grind it coarsely or finely according to your choice.
- Once done make the tempering with hot Oil, add the Mustard Seeds, Asafoetida and Turmeric powder. Add this to the Chutney Powder and mix well.
- Store it in an air tight container.
Have a Happy meal with a Healthy Chutney Pudi :)!!!