Friday, April 3, 2009

‘Appetizing, Delicious and completely irresistible – As good as it looks’


Lets take a break from elaborate scrumptious meals to our daily routine quick food :).

Paneer (indian cottage cheese) is very precious for me here in Gibraltar. (Only 1 Store gets it for the whole population). Whenever I find those boxes in the aisle, I just grab to pile them up in my freezer :d. And am forced to do this without any consideration, as I am not good at making paneer at home; though sometimes I do have succeeded in it but the shape and the looks of home made paneer is not so attractive as the commercial one :d {well…sometimes I do get tagged as ‘obsessively organized’ with such childish thoughts :d}

Being vegetarians, paneer forms a very good source of proteins for us. I also use it when I am left with no veggies :d. You can make this dish for a festive five-course affair or just a casual meal for two. It’s an effortless-minimal/basic veggie tasty recipe.
Any guesses on this paneer dish…yes its mouthwatering ‘Mutter Paneer’.

I have this habit of browsing the net for recipes, and I found this particular one quite sometime back which now has become 1 of my patent dishes. Till date all my friends and family members admire this ;) including my little explorer. But for him I make a variation by adding ‘palyada pudi’ (1 of the masalas that kannadigas use) as we don’t have the practise of giving young kids strong masalas.
Here goes the ingredients and method for Mutter Paneer.

Serves 2 to 3 people

Spice Level: Mild spicy

Ingredients

Boiled green peas - 2 cups
Butter - 3tspn
Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
Turmeric – ¼ tsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1tspn
Chopped onion – 1
Chopped Tomatoes – 3
Cardamom – 1
Cloves – 2
Coriander powder – 1tsp
Red chili powder – 1tsp
Garam masala – 1/2tsp
Beaten curds – ¼ cup
Salt to taste
Fried paneer cubes or paneer soaked in warm water for 15min and then cut into cubes – 1 cup

Method
  • Blend onions, ginger garlic paste, cardamom, cloves, and tomatoes into a smooth paste.
  • Heat butter in a pan, add cumin seeds and allow it to splutter. Add turmeric, ground paste and cook until light brown on low-medium heat. Mix little water if required.
  • Add curds while continuously stirring. Then add the dry powders, boiled peas and salt and bring it to boil for 10min.
  • Add Paneer and simmer for 5-6min. Mouthwatering Mutter Paneer is ready!!

    Serving Suggestions: Mutter Paneer tastes great with Roti, Chapatis, Naan and also Jeera rice (Cumin flavored Basmati rice)

    Tip: Soaking paneer in warm water makes it soft.

Enjoy your weekend and see you all next friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin